Wednesday, July 20, 2022

#CURATOR SERIES - Will Mensah


Who is Will Mensah?

Mr. Mensah is a dedicated professional an accomplished and energetic basketball referee with a solid history of achievements in officiating for seventeen years.  He is also a motivated leader with strong organizational and with unique prioritization abilities.



QUESTION.

It is a known yet forgotten fact that there are more jobs surrounding the sport of basketball than there are of jobs of those who actually play basketball. 


Jobs such as coaching, scouting, ticket sales, player development, concessions just to name a few, but very few choose to become referee.


First off, as a youth, did you envision becoming a professional referee? If no, what were your plans as an adolescent .  Secondly, when did being a referee become an option and then a reality? Lastly, as one of the best referees in the metro NYC area, what advice would you give to the next group of referees as they try to scale the referee totem pole?” 




ANSWER.

As a youth I did not envision being a professional referee, actually I thought I would be a 12 year veteran of the NBA.  Upon retirement, I planned on becoming a high school physical education teacher and the school's basketball coach. 


Becoming a referee did not become an option until I ruptured my achilles heel during a USBL tryout. After the surgery and throughout the rehabilitation process, my desire to regain and maintain a healthy active lifestyle really fueled my new career path.  In addition, it provided me an opportunity to be around the game of basketball which at the time was my passion.  So, boom - becoming a referee checked ALL the boxes for a rebirth..  


Becoming an official did not become a real, tangible career path until I "took the jump" in 2005.  Like anyone else entering a new field, I needed to work my way up the ranks.  I honed my skills at local, regional leagues traveling throughout the northeast learning the full eco - system, but in only three years - 2008 to be exact- I was hired by the DLeague (currently referred to as the GLeague) .  



To date, 2008 was one of my best years and although 14 years later I am still shocked that this is not only a vocation, but actually is MY VOCATION.


I don’t know if I am one of the best referees, but I have a few tips for the next Will Mensah and others who like me were/are somewhat unaware of what to expect on this journey. 


1. Find a mentor for the level you aspire to work. (This rule applies for every level).


2. Be able to see "plays" whether they are during your games or watching other games, but the more "plays" you see the easier it is to make decisions when you are in that situation.


3. If you know you have clocked in your 10,000 hours continue to do so.  Keep crafting and evolving.


4. BELIEVE in yourself for your idea of success will happen when it’s supposed to. 





No comments: